Review 2012.
January 2012 and we barely started the Mono.
It was still PTP and the only thing we can be glad of is that we can finally claim that it's our ORD year.
We're halfway there and it's only 11 months left.
Things are looking good although there had been problems now and then, obviously caused by the men.
But even some of the commanders don't take much effort in pissing me off too.
We were not exactly very close to one another, but judging from the time we had together in UIP, I thought that our platoon had the best commanders possible and could really accomplish something big, especially with our PS that good.
Come February, and BMT finally started.
Towards the end of Jan we were already too bored with all the PT and stuff, not being able to do things which are more soldier-like.
And when BMT started, we were yet given tons of jobs to do, even more tasks to ensure that we train our men up to the standards.
I am still questioning what are the standards supposed to be like, but that's not important anymore.
Through February till March, we had route marchs, BTP, Field Camp and stuff.
Field Camp was memorable, a long 7 days on in Tekong with a BBQ by the command team.
We did so many things, trainings and also fun stuff.
And when it's April already, it's time for our men to POP.
24km route march again, but this time as safety spec felt nostalgic.
All of them were so happy that they're finally not gonna get called recruits anymore, yet probably none of them knew that this is where everything begins.
We didn't really have a choice on who to keep and who to post out, and when our block leave ended and everybody returned, it's time again to go back to normal army life.
We had to train them up like we did, similar to Foundation Term except that they were trained just in the weapons they are supposed to hold and a secondary one too.
Heading into May, we are almost completing our AIT Phase.
Section drills are a norm by now, breaching, crossing danger areas and such.
However the only thing we fear is the Rotation 1 which is nearing us, having no ideas of what it is about at all.
Our PCs were also posted in as well just before May.
It's June and the two weeks of Rotation 1 are definitely a period of time which I enjoyed and would never forget as well.
Euro Cup was ongoing and we built up our cozy corner just so that we can relax, watch some TV and play PS2 as well.
Staying up late for Euro Cup matches, Champions league final etc. was more or less part of my army life then.
Even with a live firing on the following morning, it did not stop me from catching the Champions League final.
MTI instructors are a new thing to us, and we had to go through tests under them.
It was actually less tough than we thought it would be, and two weeks quickly passed by.
It was only then that we realized SCS really didn't teach us much, and that unit was when we really learnt much more about combat and stuff like that.
On the Saturday just after Rot1 finished, we started our weekly trips to Marina to help out with the NDP rehearsals.
That continued through July as well and is also so-called one of the highlights of my time in 2SIR.
Helping out in NDP rehearsals are not fun, pushing barricades are not fun, having nowhere comfortable to stay is not fun.
But the experience is definitely enjoyable as we hanged out with each other when not in camp, and of course because of the less time we had to train with makes our life better too.
From August to September to October were the times I couldn't really remember well.
Things were really messy, training schedule changing every now and then.
We didn't know what to expect after NDP and towards Rotation 3, especially with the involvement of terrex.
There was a time we had much preparations to do for our 50th Anniversary but that's about it.
We did some training to clear our VOC.
I also cleared my IPPT sometime somewhere and gotten Gold again.
Trainings and some outfield now and then to make sure we don't lose our skills too much.
Blah blah blah.
Come October and we were so excited because it's just two months left.
Just two months.
And a long two months it was indeed.
Around two weeks of terrex training was all we had, before we had to go for Rotation 3.
And this time round, it wasn't as easy as Rotation 1.
Not at all.
Programs were often not briefed to us beforehand and we had to deal with many last minute changes.
Play by ear is a phrase often heard but not often liked by us.
We still managed to try and make the best out of things and have fun during training and outfield, and there are definitely times we can never forget.
The first time we did camo net and lagger, working with our vehicle commanders.
Second year commanders got posted in as well and we were so excited back then seeing them, which also reminded of ourselves a year ago.
People start to not give a shit due to ORD, and this in fact had been happening for months already for some.
But a group of commanders still committed to their jobs are pushing each other on.
Rotation 3 finally ended on the first week of November.
It was not a sense of exhilaration or excitement; it was a great sense of relief.
We are finally done with this.
Problems still seem to surface more than ever, and I really don't exactly know how I can just leave everything behind.
To me it seems like everything is still going on and I started something but leave halfway through.
Yes the world definitely will still be progressing without me, but it seemed kinda wrong to me at the same time.
Then again, I once told myself that no matter what circumstances, I would never sign on/extend.
And even if I did, I won't be in 2SIR anyways.
I tried to not leave any regrets by spending my last week in camp, with the men.
And I know I did the right thing.
My pink IC came back to me on 7th Dec and I know this is the end of my journey here, for now.
A supposed 2012 review became a reflection of my life in 2SIR in my second year of NS.
Of course there are still many thoughts that I have not pen down yet, but it's not needed since they will stay in my mind forever.
Some time from now when I look back here at this post again, I'll remember that my time in 2SIR and NS had not been wasted and see how much I've learnt from it.
NS had taught me a lot and even though I see many people denying that NS is useful or what, I can see that NS changed them, usually, for the better.
It's almost a week into 2013.
I haven't had a plan of what I want for the year at all.
To work? Get driving license? Commit myself to Scouting?
Sometimes I tend to over-think yet not take any actions at all.
What I know is that, I'll have to take this time to continue to live my life to the fullest.
Byeall.